Advantages of Adenovirus Vectors
• Can serve as a vaccine platform for several types of disease.
• Trigger strong and potentially medically significant immune response via a variety of different cellular pathways.
• Are well tested in clinic, and are well-tolerated as a vector system and vaccine system.
• Methods to bring AdVectors into the clinic are well established, and manufacturing and quality control procedures are in place.
• Used as an immunization boost in animals, immune response increases greatly, measured by antibody titer and cell-mediated response.
• High numbers of homologous vector can be produced and purified quickly.
• All AdVectors are missing essential genes, so they can no longer replicate, making them relatively safe, and freeing space for addition of many expression cassettes.
• Vectors can be optimized for performance and can be used to quickly test many conformations of antigen or multiple antigens.
• DNA can be flexibly moved around using homologous recombination.
• Libraries of genes or various modifications of a single gene can be used to produce a library of AdVectors for testing.
• Broadening the tropism of AdVector can improve antigen presentation by almost an order of magnitude and improved cellular response to antigen.