Potential of Drug and Vaccine Success
• SARS CoV has good potential for vaccine development because it grows well in cell culture at high titers, there is a plaque assay, it can be titered, there are good targets, assays are relatively quick, and RNA alone is infectious.
• Likely successful drug or vaccine targets are those involved in entry, protease, and RNA polymerase.
• Induction of neutralizing antibody ought to be the first objective in vaccine development, before worrying about inducing mucosal immunity.
• There is a lot of information about immune response and protective responses in animals using the MHV system, and some may be directly translated to SARS.
• Some collaboration will go on amongst pharmaceuticals and is already occurring between academic or government scientists and pharmaceutical or biotech scientists.